Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Owensboro, KY?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Owensboro and you still have time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors helps ensure that your home remains and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for winter?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient options.
If you have additional questions about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Owensboro at 270-684-3028.