How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a point every Owensboro winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and decrease drafty air from passing through your home, it’s important to be able to identify where these window drafts could be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to find your Owensboro home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Look for gaps and cracks in unusual points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the normal windows with workable means and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Inspect to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Owensboro to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Owensboro a call at 270-684-3028 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.