Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Owensboro, KY
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual aspects in your home. One concern homeowners have with wood windows is the possibility for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nourishment from wood, which can cause homeowners a lot of headaches when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to get rid of or decrease the opportunity for termites to get close to your home. Here are a few tips from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help lessen the chance of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotten wood. Termites will use this as a pathway to get to the house. Particularly for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also search for water and moisture, so it’s critical to ensure your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and allow air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Clogged gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are nearby the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites create their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their best chance to enter the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Owensboro has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can look at your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avert any damage, visit the Owensboro showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our specialists offer a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 270-684-3028 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.